Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Poking about the Pasture, SOLD
Acrylic on Canvas, 36" x 48", Cornerstone Exhibition
This painting involved lots of math- I sat on my hardwood floor with a ruler, a pencil and a calculator writing down numbers for about an hour before I got the proper composition.  The cows came from three different photographs where all of the cows where different sizes.  The cows started off as different sized boxes to simplify the problem.  First, I had to size them to each other and then I blew them up to fit them onto the canvas.  Then it was just a matter of penciling in the cows into their respective boxes. The cows are from the barn on Middle road at the HWY 15 intersection.  The landscape background came form my head.  It was a foggy day on which I painted it on so interesting to look at it and see the haze in the background even though I didn't consciously intend for it to look that way.  I really like the but on the cow laying down the subtle tones are captured. 

No comments:

Post a Comment